We encourage talented graduate students enrolled in U.S. universities to apply, including women and students from underrepresented populations in international STEM research.
Students selected for this US-China International Research Experience must meet the following minimum requirements in order to qualify for this program.
Applicants are required to be:
- U.S. citizens or permanent residents;
- Enrolled in the second year or later of a computationally-focused STEM graduate program;
- Be proficient in at least one programming language.
Leadership Criteria: IRES intends to prepare U.S. students for international leadership in research. Students applying to the ASSURE site should be highly motivated, willing to learn and develop new research collaborations.
Inter-Cultural Criteria: Students applying to this site should be willing to broaden their:
- understanding of the host culture by participating in preparatory lessons, traveling to China and living in local accommodations and interacting with locals, peers, and researchers for 8-weeks.
- intercultural skills by participating in sessions that challenge students to explore how their experiences shape their beliefs and values.