The ASSURE Summer research program is 10-weeks long, including a required 8-9 week on-site research component in China and 1-2 weeks of pre- and post- departure meetings at MSU. Students applying to this site should also be willing to*:
- Prepare your personal and professional life to make a commitment to research abroad for the full 9 weeks.
- Commit to completing a substantive research project that utilizes site resources;
- Participate in virtual cohort and research group meetings with mentors to finalize research goals before the Summer program begins;
- Participate in cross-culture and Chinese language orientation;
- Participate in reflective and debriefing activities (pre-, during and post- program) that challenge you to reflect on your beliefs and values and how these impact your engagement with colleagues as a means to improving your intercultural competencies and strengthening your ability to successfully complete your project and collaborate across differences in future projects;
- Engage with fellow interns and host country mentors in a spirit of cooperation, mutual learning, and respect;
- Recognize that your successful work abroad is based on the trust and confidence you build by respectfully integrating yourself into, your host community and culture as well as the cohort of your IRES ASSURE fellows.
- Recognize that you will be perceived, in your host country and community, as a representative of the people, cultures, values, and traditions of the United States of America.
- Exercise judgment and personal responsibility to protect your health, safety, and well-being and that of others;
- Be responsible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for your personal conduct and professional performance;
- Work within the rules and regulations of MSU and the local and national laws of your host country;
- Submit documentation (including those required for visa processing), assignments and pre- and post-assessments in a timely manner.
The ASSURE program provides airfare, room and board, a short language course, international health insurance and a stipend for students selected to participate.
Students will be partnered with a US- and China- based faculty pair based on their research interests.
*The program expectations listed above have been adapted based on the Peace Corps 10 Core Expectations.
- SUM 2020 program suspended due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Applications for SUM 2021 open October 2020.