Eligible students MUST be US citizens or permanent residents but do NOT need to be MSU students. However, qualifying students MUST be in the process of earning a Ph. D. degree in a STEM discipline. At beginning of the IRES Summer program, student participants should have a minimum of six months remaining in their Ph.D. program before they are eligible to graduate.
Yes. IRES ASSURE is open to all U.S. graduate students, based in the US.
No. If you are an english speaking student you will be placed with a mentor that can communicate in English. We ask that both mentors and their students be open to engagement with researchers from a different culture. The program provides some survival Chinese education and we recommend that students do some advance self-learning.
No. This program does NOT offer course credit and does not require students to be enrolled for the Summer semester. However students must still be in the process of earning their Ph.D. degree for the duration of the Summer program.
Maybe. This program does NOT offer course credit for participants. However, this does not stop your advisor from counting this experience as a research credit. However, the IRES ASSURE program will not be able to provide any documentation for the purpose of obtaining course credit.
The program offers students the following opportunities personal and research:
Promote and achieve your research goals;
Learn new computational skills and methods that could be useful to your research and your lab;
Understand how effective collaborations work and gain experience working in different STEM research environments;
Expand your professional network;
Build leadership and problem-solving skills needed to manage a team with diverse members;
Grow in awareness of how culture influences the practice of your discipline
The program offers U.S. mentors of eligible students the following opportunities:
- Students are paid by the program to continue existing research. So advisors can save their research dollars.
- You have the potential to earn research credits for the work you are doing, if your advisor so chooses.
- If you are selected to participate and your advisor is mentoring you on the project, they will be eligible for a travel allowance (~$3K) to build this collaboration by visiting China while you are there.
- SUM 2020 program suspended due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Applications for SUM 2021 open October 2020.